We’ve checked in a couple of times on the progress of construction at the Sculpture Center.12 But, thanks to SculptureCenter Operations Manager Yoseff Ben-Yehuda and Associate Director Frederick Janka, we were allowed an exclusive “hard-hat” tour of the construction site. As you can see from the photos below, the SculptureCenter is well along the way.
What will be added after the consturction is done? I’m glad you asked!3
The expansion includes a new 2,000 square foot addition to the dramatic existing structure. A one-story entrance lobby will provide ticketing, orientation, and visitor services such as a coatroom, restrooms and seating area. The expansion and renovation will significantly improve the quality of the exhibition spaces and visitor circulation. The completed facility will include:
- 6,500 square feet of flexible interior exhibition space that will accommodate work of diverse forms and scale
- a new 2,000 square foot, one-story entrance lobby with bookshop, coatroom, seating area, and restrooms;
- an elevator and stairway to the lower level galleries;
- a 1,500 square foot enclosed courtyard for outdoor exhibitions and events;
- upgrades to electrical and mechanical systems;
- and office and storage space improvements.
Janka and Ben-Yehuda also sent along some never seen before renderings (Photo Credit “Andrew Berman Architect“).