On Tuesday, construction crews were seen in front of the SculptureCenter at 44-19 Purves Street taking down the blue fence that had previously covered the front of the building. As you can see from the photos below, a black wall has been revealed, which will part of the new entrance into the arts center. Construction began earlier this year,1 and it seems that the project is on pace to meet its third quarter deadline.
The expansion includes a new 2,000 square foot addition to the dramatic existing structure. A one-story entrance lobby will provide ticketing, orientation, and visitor services such as a coatroom, restrooms and seating area. The expansion and renovation will significantly improve the quality of the exhibition spaces and visitor circulation. The completed facility will include:2
- 6,500 square feet of flexible interior exhibition space that will accommodate work of diverse forms and scale
- a new 2,000 square foot, one-story entrance lobby with bookshop, coatroom, seating area, and restrooms;
- an elevator and stairway to the lower level galleries;
- a 1,500 square foot enclosed courtyard for outdoor exhibitions and events;
- upgrades to electrical and mechanical systems;
- and office and storage space improvements.
Pingback: Friday Links | Brownstoner Queens