Thanks to a tipster, who let us know that the former Elks Building at 21-42 44th Drive will be demolished in the near future. A demolition permit was filed on the three story building in late August.1 When we visited the site earlier in the week, we noticed a sign in front saying that the International Association of Sheet Metal, Air & Transportation Workers, Local 137 had relocated and the building is now vacant.
Forgotten NY has more details on the historic building:2
The former home of the Benovelent and Protective Order of Elks, Lodge #878, on 44th Drive was abandoned in favor of their newer and more elegant home on Queens Boulevard in Elmhurst somewhere in the 1920′s or so. Unfortunately, most fraternal oraganizations have fallen on difficult times and have lost their buildings. This is also the case of the lodge hall on Queens Boulevard. A deal was made to sell it to a Church which allows the Elks to meet in a small portion of their once massive home.