What is Damp Proofing?
This is a term generally used to refer to different measures taken to prevent the penetration of moisture through the floors or walls into the interior of a building. These measures which are also commonly known as water proofing are usually in form of barriers called DPC (Damping Proofing Course) are placed in floors and walls to prevent the passage of moisture.
Types of Damp
There are different types of damp problems you may face in your home or office. Knowing the type of damp problem you have is the first step to finding a solution. There are four major types and they are: Leak, rising, penetrating and condensation.
This is pretty much self-explanatory. You can notice dampness in a section of your home or office when there is a leakage in that section. One of the main characteristics of this type of dampness is that it is localized to the area of the leak.
All buildings can at some point have this problem. It is usually common in buildings that have been around for a while. As they begin to age, the damping materials used could begin to weaken, causing moisture to penetrate. This can also be caused by a change in the surroundings of the building. Any additions to the land around the building that raises the ground level, causing the building’s position to be lower relative to the surrounding grounds, can also cause this type of dampness.
This type of damp problem can be caused by a faulty plumbing system that somehow allows water to penetrate the building. This is different from leaks in that it is not a localized leak.
This happens around us every day. The change in temperature causes moisture to evaporate and condense. When the house is warm, moisture will be absorbed into the atmosphere around the house and when the house is cool, this moisture will settle, condensing on the walls and other surfaces.
Why You Should Damp Proof
Prevention they say is better than cure. It is better to fix any problems that can lead to dampness in your home than to try to fix the dampness after it has occurred. Damp issues happen to be one of the most common problems that buildings have.
Aside from the fact that moisture can cause a lot of damage to different aspects of your building, it can also cause health issues. One of the biggest health issues arise from this is the growth of mould and mildew. These organisms thrive in damp environments and can be a health risk.
Damp proofing not only ensures the structural integrity of your building, it also ensures a more comfortable home with healthy residents.
You do not have to wait until you have major damp issues before you consider it worthy of attention. Actually, if you wait this long, you may certainly have to call in the cavalry and in the process spend a lot more money than you planned on spending.
To ensure you keep every damp issue well under control, do the following:
- Carry out regular inspection of your property to ensure there are no cracks, lose tiles, blocked gutters, leakages, problems with your plumbing system etc. Catching these early can save you a bundle.
- About once every three years, call in a professional to do a more thorough check. Companies like can ensure every problem which leads to damp issues is nipped in the bud.
- Fix any problems identified immediately. Do not put off any repairs as every delay can worsen the problem.
- Check the seals of your bath and shower. Once these begin to weaken, water will begin to leak causing all sorts of problems you may not readily see. It is therefore important to make it a point to inspect these seals every now and again.
- To avoid damp issues arising from condensation, learn to keep windows open while in the shower so the vapour can find a way out. You should also try to air the house every now and again. Do not keep your house shuttered up all the time. The airier you house, the less issues you will have with condensation.
Choosing a Damp Proofing Company
There are times when DIY approach won’t help. If you’ve left things until they’ve gotten quite out of control, do yourself a favour and get professionals to help you solve the problem. Be sure to choose a company that understands the locality and the challenges you are likely facing.
Choosing a locally based company will also make it easier to choose a company whose reputation you can easily verify. Do not let moisture take over your home. Damp proof today.